December 21, 2016

Miniature in the Mail #48: "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

"Bridge Over Troubled Water," 5x5in., oil on masonite

Last week for the first time, I cycled along the Santa Ana River, a watercourse that cuts through four counties of dense urban space and spills out into the Pacific. During the summer and fall it was bone dry, but now it has a trickle of water and that has drawn an incredible array of wildlife, seemingly overnight.

This one spot drew my attention: sterile warehouses, wires, signs of construction, a mysterious tunnel with some stealth graffiti, paranoid concrete reinforcement, a decent pooling of water, and ducks, of all things. Other determined and plucky waterfowl I spotted included pelicans, egrets, cormorants, black birds, herons, and gulls.

Though it doesn't feel it round here, today is the first day of winter. Happy Winter Solstice!

I also wanted to mention that I made it into the local paper, the Fullerton Observer. Check it out. I'm on page 14.

For more on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and other paintings like it, part of my Miniature in the Mail series, please visit www.ivanostocco.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment