January 30, 2017

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be," acrylic, oil, spray, collage, graphite, and Styrofoam dust on birch panel

Here's a depiction of the Santa Ana River, part of my series on California.

A paved path runs along the river for miles and is great for cycling. You get lots of change-ups of landscape, varying from the most industrial and concrete to lush and packed with wildlife.

I cycle through and the thought that runs through my head, like an earworm, is the landscape tries, it really does.

A side note: It's getting wild in the world and I'm finding it difficult to concentrate onor justify doingart, among other things. Then again, I never went into art because it was relaxing but because I believe in the need for question raising and higher forms of beauty. I just learned that Shostakovich, the great Russian conductor, played on with just 14 starving artists, his Seventh Symphony, while the Nazis decimated Leningrad around him during WWII...

For more paintings like this, check out www.ivanostocco.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment