Crag Detail


"Crag Detail," watercolor and acrylic on paper, 9" x 12"

Under the quarantine, unable to travel far and wide, I've noticed some artists have worked harder to find subject-matter that is closer to home.

One dude I admire, Brett Amory, has done a series of paintings of just nooks and crannies in his home. The Canadian painter Mary Pratt, a housebound mom for years, who was born in the 1930s, painted what was available to her: her porch, bags, the bed, jars of jelly.

My own art, at least in my own head, is about cajoling interesting visions out of non-exotic spaces. This has something to do with keeping it real and not being academic.

Before the quarantine, though, those spots were hyper-anthropic, meaning full of us flawed people and/or evidence of our work. Accessing those has become trickier.

Instead, in the last few months, I've been walking around the block a lot, hiking in nearby hills with the kids, and staring at the four walls of my garage-studio.

This latest is not my usual thing, but it is real. It's a detail from a weekend family hike. I could've gone for the big panorama, the full crag with flowers in bloom and greenery in the distance, but the detail seemed more relevant. More intimate.

$75 (free shipping in North America)

PLEASE NOTE:

I do my best to use environmentally responsible pigments, varnishes, and other materials, all while upholding the strictest archival conventions and not losing anything in the way of color or vibrancy.


* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Check out my website, www.ivanostocco.com, to see more of my work. I'm also on Instagram @ivano_stocco.

Comments